Advisor (m/f) for the Zambian Ministry of Finance for the Budget Execution and Control Systems
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
JOB-ID : 24255
Field of activity
On behalf of the German Government, GIZ as the implementing agency for technical and international cooperation implements a programme to promote Good Financial Governance (GFG) in Zambia. GIZ has been supporting the Zambian Ministry of Finance (MoF) since 2005, and the current programme consists of three fields of activities :
1) Strengthening revenue administration capacities,
2) Strengthening national planning and budget preparation processes, and
3) Enhancing budget execution and control systems.
Through the last few years, the Government of the Republic of Zambia made considerable reform efforts in the field of Public Finance and has adopted a broad Public Finance Management Reform Strategy. In order to contribute to the sustainability of such reforms undertaken so far, the GFG programme supports the Ministry of Finance in enhancing its process of budget execution according to plans and within the appropriate budget by strengthening structures as well as organizational, personnel and technical capacities within the Ministry of Finance, especially within Internal Auditors.
The GFG programme’s overarching aim is to establish a sustainable and efficient system of budget preparation and execution that is cognizant of the duties and accountability requirements of all actors involved in the formulation and execution of the Budget. Therefore, comprehensive and systematic advice to the Ministry of Finance on budget execution and control systems is a critical requirement.
As an advisor, you will provide strategic and technical advice to the Ministry of Finance with regards to budget execution and control systems (also with regards to the Integrated Financial Management System (IFMIS)) and herby aiming at strengthening the interfaces between budget preparation, budget execution and internal/ external control mechanisms.
Further tasks include the following :
• Advice on coordinating and strengthening of interfaces between actors in the field of budget execution and control systems, including IFMIS (Office of Controller of Internal Audit, Auditor General’s Office, Accountant General’s Office, Budget Office, Treasury).
• Advice on matters related to further demands of the Ministry of Finance with regards to strengthening budget execution and control systems.
• Coordination and guidance of long and short-term experts/ consultants in the field of budget execution and controls.
• Harmonization with other donors in the field of budget execution and controls.
You should hold a degree in Economics, Law, Political and Administrative Sciences, Public Finance, Business Administration or similar. Additionally, relevant expertise in the field of public budget execution as well as integrated systems for managing public finances is mandatory. You should have at least 10 years of work experience in the relevant field. You should be capable of fostering political dialogue on relevant issues and also facilitate development oriented stakeholder processes which includes dealing with top government bodies. Fluency in English together with exceptional communication and intercultural skills are required. Furthermore, fluency in German will be an added advantage.
As soon as possible, until 31.12.2018
Lusaka has a fairly good healthcare system and a pleasant climate. The safety situation is good and the international schools have a high standard. We welcome job applications from people with disabilities.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application. Contact :